Amethyst's Backstory is the second episode of the Crystal Island Adventures miniseries.
One day, Amethyst had brought some gem shards to Sodor from Crystal Island. That night, Amethyst slept at Knapford Sheds.
“Amethyst,” said Brady, “I've been meaning to ask you, can you tell us about your past?”
“Because,” replied Murdoch, “We'd like to know more about you.”
“Well, if you insist,” said Amethyst, and she began, “I was built in 2013 along with the other engines from Crystal Island. We immediately began work in the mines. I quickly became friends with Ruby, Sapphire, and Bismuth. In early 2014, all the freight cars and brake vans were built. Onyx and I instantly became the best of friends. We went everywhere together.”
“But wouldn't you have to?” asked Matthew, “After all, every train needs a brake van at the back.”
“Save all questions till the end, please. Now, where was I? Oh, right,” Amethystr continued, “Onyx and I went everywhere together. But, we did once have a falling out.”
“Tell us about it,” said Olivia.
“Well,” said Amethyst, “It happened in, I want to say, August or September of 2014. After Quartz had pulled Pink apart.”
“Wait a second,” Kylie interrupted, “Quartz, that little pink tank engine, pulled a freight car apart?! Like Oliver did to S.C. Ruffey?”
“Yep,” Amethyst replied, “Now, after Quartz pulled Pink apart, Onyx thought it was a HUGE deal. I, on the other hand, thought that it was no big deal. And, since we had opposing views on the matter, we fought about it. After about a week, we stopped talking. But, after he spent a week with Lapis, he came back to me and we made up and became best friends once again. And that's my story.”
“And a great one at that,” said Arthur.
“Indeed,” said Harvey and Marie together.
“Aw, you guys are so nice,” Amethyst blushed, and soon, all the engines were asleep.
- Oliver (mentioned)
- Ruby (mentioned)
- Sapphire (mentioned)
- Quartz (mentioned)
- Bismuth (mentioned)
- S.C. Ruffey (mentioned)
- Pink (mentioned)
- Onyx (mentioned)
- This episode marks the first of several things:
- First episode centered around Amethyst
- First episode to state that Amethyst and Onyx are best friends
- First episode to give a backstory for one of the Crystal Island engines
- First episode to give a specific build year for the Crystal Island engines
- First episode in which Amethyst appears without Ruby, although the latter is mentioned in the episode
- The events of the fourth season episode, Toad Stands By is mentioned.
- Bismuth had not gone to Sodor, nor had she been mentioned, prior to this episode, so the Sudrian engines would not know who she is.