Emily and Whiff, retitled Emily's New Friend in other releases, is the forty-third episode of the Engine Friends miniseries.
Emily is asked to help a new engine called Whiff, but is mortified to discover he is scruffy and smelly and that the two are to collect rubbish trucks. Emily grudgingly sets off with Whiff, but she is teased dreadfully when they meet Gordon, Henry and James. She runs away from him, but when she passes Molly, Neville and Murdoch, they laugh at her as well. She stops at a level crossing where Elizabeth was waiting at and wanted to meet the new engine. Emily lies and says he got lost, but Whiff arrived saying that he didn't and Emily puffs away. She hides down a branch line, in a tunnel and by a water tower in succession, but is seen every time. She finally manages to lose him when she sees Spencer in front of some rubbish trucks that are in his way. Emily tries to move them over, but they are so heavy that she cannot move them by herself. She asks Gordon and James for help, but they refuse to do so since they're busy, and Emily realises Whiff is the only one who will. After finding him among some trucks, the two pull the trucks away so Spencer can get through. Spencer is impressed and calls Whiff is a useful engine. Emily replies back that Whiff is her good friend, too.
- Annie and Clarabel (cameo)
- Sir Topham Hatt (mentioned)
- The Duke and Duchess of Boxford (mentioned)
- This episode is an adaptation of the eleventh season episode,Emily's Rubbish.
- Unlike in Emily's Rubbish, Molly, Neville, and Murdoch are given speaking roles. Jacobacranmer did this because he felt that the 3 engines are underused in the television series.